Monday, February 05, 2007

Three Boys
or
The Blind Leading The Deaf




This Superbowl Sunday rather than watch the actual Superbowl like most of inbred America, I spent a delightful night in the company of a very nice young gay couple.

One of them was so deaf that he had to wear a hearing aid. I think he took a liking to me immediately because he kept staring at me and smiling, though I wonder whether or not he was doing so in order to read my lips, which must be a difficult thing to do since I tend to rant and mumble. Thankfully his handsome doctor boyfriend would clarify a few points via sign language.

We had a few coconut vodka iced drink concoctions and chatted about their lovely home and about being deaf of all things. They are both very fit, and one is a marathon runner.

One of a few funny things I'd like to share from that night:

1) The young deaf man's hearing aid kept beeping loudly at...inopportune moments.
2) The deaf boy's business card had some braille on it. He confessed to me that he couldn't read braille. I told him a joke I heard about a bumper sticker that reads "If you can read this then you're too close" but its written in braille, he looked at his boyfriend who signed the joke, and he sort of half-laughed, so something was lost in the translation.

At the end of the night I had to be helped down the stairs because my legs were somewhat tired. Boys will be boys after all.

Now for a little dance break

No comments: