Sunday, September 21, 2008

Forms of Comedy
or
Albert Brooks Helps One Concentrate


Comedy in the Muslim World is on television. The premise of the movie is that the US government sends Albert Brooks into the middle east to see if they have a sense of humor.

He has a sidekick, a middle eastern woman, who is funny herself, but I couldn't help but notice that she has American tendencies.

And I notice in this clip of Muslim comedians that they seem to have the mannerisms of American stand up comedians.

Which leads me to believe that there are only two forms of comedy. Regular comedy, and British comedy.

I've yet to see any other culture be funny within their own styles, its either form that's mimicked.

I wonder then whether all comedy before American and British comedy consisted of fart jokes, and by jokes I mean some post-Cro Magnon man farting into the campfire while everyone laughs.

Its just another thing to ponder isn't it?

No comments: