Monday, September 22, 2008

I Am A Mega Man
or
Kevin Discovers Scientology, Just Kidding, No I Don't


Today I called my old high school chum. He picked up the phone, and I ranted:

"HEY! It's kevin, guess what I'm playing?? GUESS! Oh it's Mega Man 9!! How have you been?"

My friend didn't seem impressed. His response after a brief delay was, "are you high?"

No I was not high, at least not on anything other than life. You see a video game was recently released for the Wii, but rather it being the latest lame over-powered-graphically-speaking sequel to a blockbuster franchise...

Well, it was this

An 8 bit excursion into the 80's. As if some magic hand went into my mind and formed a new game out of my demented imagination.

But I'm not here to write about the game, I'm here to write about my reaction to it. I'm fairly young in dog years, so I'm not used to feelings of "nostalgia" or longing for the good old days, least I thought that was the case...

But as soon as I powered up this Nintendo baby, I was overjoyed with how difficult and unforgiving it was, and when I slayed the bosses I jumped up and called my old friend from Los Angeles only because he and I used to play these games when we were young.

And after the lukewarm response, my friend opened up and understood why I was so happy. "Really? They've released an old school Mega Man game??" he said, and I realized that his initial confusion stemmed from him not knowing the details of this release, but once I filled him in on the details, he was ecstatic too...

My friend, you see, is taking care of a child, it is his girlfriend's baby. He's got responsibilities.

I feel that, at the age of 26, I'm becoming something resembling a man, but I also feel that a certain sector of intelligent society looks down on both my friend and I for our love of nostalgia, that longing for 80's-era pixel themed times.

We are called man-children, and with disdain! How odd is that? Maybe we should get wives and beat them to ward off that stigma...

But you see, I've discovered the key to life this last weekend, and its better than the Jesus BS, but it'll have to wait till tomorrow because I have just one more robot master to beat before going to sleep.

2 comments:

im'mature said...

I suddenly have the urge to eBay some retro game consoles...

Goodbye, higher education.

Kevin said...

Oh you should be able to get those on the cheap. Or you can just ((cough))emulatethem((cough))